Welcome to my Blog!

At only 21 (almost) years old, I have somehow accumulated a nearly debilitating amount of debt. The number scares me. I am far too young to be in this much debt, not to mention I won’t finish school for another 4 months! And that’s only one program, I still have another 2 years of school somewhere down the road that I will be doing.

With all of the above being said, I welcome you to my new blog!

The main focus being on: Getting out of Debt, Staying out of Debt, and Saving Money for the Future!

There will also be posts on living frugally in your 20s, losing weight, and many more topics!

I hope you enjoy following me in my journey through my 20s just as much as I am going to enjoy sharing it with you! I also look forward to input, and hopefully helping out a few people!

Saturday, January 31, 2015

January Month End- Read Without Judgment


Having started this "challenge" in the middle of the month, I entered with very low expectations, for the month of January at least. I most definitely did not think I would end with a positive cash flow, nor did I expect to break even. Nonetheless, it was still tough adding up my numbers for the month, and ending up with a cash flow of negative $300, spending $300 more than I had made this month. Not completely shocking, but an eye opener for sure. Eye openers are lessons, the lesson learned here, I must do better in February.

February's goal is to break even on cash flow, or create a positive flow if possible. Focusing on the former, in order to work my way to the latter.

To achieve this goal, I have decided to do my best to have a NO SPEND MONTH (idea found here via Pinterest). As stated on the blog linked, this does not include regular monthly bills (rent, phone, car payment, insurance, loans), or gas! Those things still get paid for, but that's it! No groceries, eating out, clothing, household items, or entertainment.

Now, you are probably wondering "no groceries, how will that work?", and this is where the "no judgment" comes in. 

On Thursday (January 29th), after estimating my income for the 30th, and looking at what still needed to be paid for this month, I realized I would only have $10 left for groceries to last me 2 weeks. In panic, I went over all of the possible options, along with their outcomes. The only true option I had was to go to the food bank. Now, some may not agree with this choice, but I honestly felt lost and without hope. The food bank was extremely generous, and everyone there was friendly and helpful. I only took what I would use/need for the next two weeks, leaving anything extra behind for those who may need it more than me. 

Once a month, to and including April, I can go in and get a hamper. The hamper includes dry goods such as pasta, cereal, snacks, and frozen meat/potatoes. These items differ each time, but it's generally the same. Twice a week I can get produce and bread. I am planning to use this option until I no longer need it. 

It took a lot of thinking and a huge swallow of pride to finally decide to go in. What made me decide and feel at ease was the fact that I promised myself I am going to donate money to the food bank when I am better off and able to. The amount of money is yet to be determined, but I am planning to keep track of the food I have received, and match that food to a dollar amount and donate that amount. I am also planning to volunteer when I have some time that I am not working. 

If anyone is in the area, and would like to donate money or time, you can visit the website and look at the options available to help them out. I'm sure anything would be greatly appreciated. 

So, for February I plan to not spend any money on groceries by using everything in my pantry, fridge, and freezer, most of which I received on Thursday. This should not be difficult at all, and will save me some money for the month! I just need to learn to be a bit creative, and less lazy, when it comes to making food. I have made an inventory list of all of the food I have, and when I need to use it by. Tomorrow I will begin working on meal plans for the month, based on the food I already have in the house. 

Wish me luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment